Anger is a natural and normal emotional response that we all experience throughout our lives. So how do we know if and when anger has become a problem for us? These are some indications:
- Almost every time I feel angry, I act on it by yelling, swearing, throwing things, damaging items, or hurting people or animals.
- I notice, or others tell me, that my anger is out-of-proportion to the situation (that I over-react).
- My relationships with friends, family, or others have been damaged because of my anger.
- People (and/or animals) are afraid of me or try to avoid getting me angry because I might explode.
- I do not feel like I can control my anger, sometimes my anger seems to get out of control.
- I "black out" when I get extremely angry.
- I have had trouble at school or at work because of the way I act when I get angry.
- I do not like who I am when I get angry.
In working with someone to address problems related to anger, WE offer two basic options: Individual Counseling or Anger Management Workshop.
INDIVIDUAL COUNSELING is recommended if you are seeking help because you or your loved ones are concerned about your anger and you want to learn where your anger comes from and how to decrease the intensity and frequency of your anger. Individual counseling allows flexibility in the way we explore and address the challenges you have related to anger and provides the opportunity to address other concerns, such as past experiences or current stressors, that may be contributing to your difficulties with anger. Our approach involves a combination of psycho-education (possibly workbooks or worksheets), Motivational Interviewing / Motivational Enhancement Therapy, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Other techniques, such as Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Solution-Focused, expressive activities, or play therapy may also be incorporated into our work together - it all depends on what best suits you! The frequency and number of sessions would be determined after we complete an intake assessment and develop individualized treatment goals. Individual counseling is appropriate for children, teens, and adults and is typically covered by insurance (please refer to the Fees and Insurance page for more details).
ANGER MANAGEMENT WORKSHOP is a structured approach utilizing an evidence-based curriculum available through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (www.samhsa.gov) that covers the following topics: Anger, Aggression, Benefits, Costs; Myths about Anger and Anger is a Habit; The Anger Meter; Events and Cues; Anger Control Plans; The Aggression Cycle; Relaxation Techniques; Cognitive Restructuring; Assertiveness and Conflict Resolution; and, Anger and the Family. The Workshop format is ideal for individuals who have been court-ordered to attend Anger Management because it is streamlined and can be completed in fewer sessions. The Workshop is appropriate for teens and adults and is not covered by insurance; the fee is $40.00 per hour and the number of hours required may vary for each person.
If you are interested in Anger Management services, please contact us at 513-445-9959 or via our contact form and we can discuss which option would be most appropriate.